Embracing the Individual with Duchenne:
Non-ambulatory at School
- Ensure there are wheelchair accessible doors throughout the entire school.
- Ensure there is ample space to maneuver between desks in the classrooms.
- Ensure there is wheelchair access to all parts of the school, even to places used infrequently – like a ramp for the school’s stage.
- Ensure there is a plan for fire, weather and shooter emergencies.
- Ensure there is a plan for when the elevator is unusable – like a stair slide.
- Ensure there is an accessible vehicle for field trips and that all the outside activities are accessible as well.
—Family, Friends and Duchenne—