Embracing the Student with Duchenne:
Fall Risks while Ambulatory at School
There are many ways to support the ambulatory child with Duchenne at school. One way is to minimize fall and fracture risks. Here’s how:
- Keep backpacks off the floor.
- Place his or her desk closest to the exit to avoid tripping hazards.
- Ensure an elevator is available instead of stairs.
- Ensure ramps are available outside to avoid curbs.
- Eliminate thresholds anywhere he or she may go.
- Allow him or her to leave the classroom early to avoid busy hallways.
—Family, Friends and Duchenne—